Friday, January 13, 2006

Actually...

that was really not too bad.

The (nice, female) gynaecologist combined with a (nice, female) medical "studant" (I'm guessing the nurse who can't spell wrote up the board this morning) agreed that yes, I'm probably ovulating fine, did not say anything approaching You Are Too Old Why Are You Bothering, and wanted to get all my tests sorted out ASAP.

I thought she was going to be the same person we saw when I had just had my scan showing an empty sac but either I was too out of it to remember, or we have TWO female gynaes at our local hospital. Wonders will never cease. The only person who wanted to be a gynae in my (one) year at medical school was a bloke who, er, would never willingly put his hands on women's bits in any recreational setting...

So this means day 21 together with multiple clotting factor tests next week (and no messing with "you haven't had three miscarriages", which leads me to wonder why they don't do that after every miscarriage), and day 2 FSH/LH at the start of my next cycle (I am very pleased I go past the hospital on the way to work... I could go to the GP practice nurse but it's actually more inconvenient), and a lap and dye (and she'll burn off any endo she finds) on March 6th.

This could have been sooner but I want to take up her recommendation of a full week off work and it would be harder to rearrange things before then; Mr Spouse has to do his business too before then, and given the unearthly time he has to leave for work in the morning, it's going to mean taking a day at home and taking it in himself, for which I am actually pretty grateful. I did suggest finding a clinic near work and nipping in to use their magazines but, funnily enough, he wasn't too happy with that. Perhaps on a day off he could cope with that but not in his lunch hour...

Now it occurs to me that of all the major causes of infertility, I'm only having one test for PCOS (I assume I'm right in thinking that the LH test is for PCOS). So I guess when I do go in again I will need to ask if there are other tests for that - one would imagine a clear view of my ovaries will mean a clear view of any cysts, though. But my symptoms are much more suggestive of endo than PCOS.

I'm also wondering if the praise for my nice midcycle mucus and injunction to jump on Mr Spouse at the weekend would have seemed quite so appropriate coming from a male gynae...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really positive, I'm so glad you've found a good bunch to help you. I'm thinking of requesting various tests that I know my doc will think I'm bananas for wanting...but I'd still like them. Very happy that yours is so open.

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so happy for you - so glad that everything's getting seen to asap!

Maria