Saturday, March 08, 2014
Thursday, February 27, 2014
- We had our first, and second (and last) home study sessions last week and this. Because our home study was done by the same social worker, with the same agency, last time, and the main thing that has changed is, well, we have Baby Spouse, she's really only had to update it. She couldn't fit this in before, and she wanted to allocate two full days to it in case it took longer than she thought.
- She still has some further checks to arrive back, and she should have already submitted her full report to the Panel to meet this date, officially, but she's assuming we will go the Approval Panel in April. One of the missing items is an interview with one of our referees who is far too casual about the whole urgency thing. I rang him last night and I hope I sounded sufficiently panicked.
- We spoke to New Agency's social worker with whom we sympathised over the difficulties with Nella. NA SW told us that, contrary to what Nella has told us, Nella denies that her current boyfriend is the new baby's father, and that Nella has said she is genuinely unsure who the father is. We aren't sure if she thought CB was the father, but changed her mind (or vice versa, or twice) or if she was just telling each party what she thought they wanted to hear (or if she was telling one party what was easiest/what she thought they wanted to hear, and the other the truth-as-she-sees-it).
- We rang Nella again earlier in the week to push her one more time for a "here's your birth father and your birth mother" photo of herself and CB for the new baby, and CB answered the phone (which occasionally he does if she is driving/busy). And told us that she's in jail.
- Yep, you read that right. If you remember, this has happened before. There is nothing we can do, and OHP has confirmed there's nothing we can or should do, we know she'll be getting fed, she cannot go AWOL/call another agency, there are some ways in which she will be taking better care of herself by force of circumstances, but she also cannot go to her regular doctor's appointments and there are obviously bad things about this circumstance. Like any other relative fed up with someone's behaviour, this doesn't feel like an entirely bad thing, but we know this isn't going to alter anything long term for her. We just hope it doesn't mean anything bad, long term, for us or the new baby, and we hope it doesn't last too long.
- We're having a nice few days away (both of us having a single day's work to do in That London have managed to make these two days next to each other, so Mr Spouse has taken Baby Spouse to the park, and shopping, today, while I'm taking him to see some horses tomorrow, and we're all going to the zoo on Saturday).
- Oh, and a couple of people in need of thoughts at the moment: Henry Street is flying to see the woman who is just about to give birth and whose baby will likely be their second child. She is very nervous but here's hoping it's the beginning of a wonderful new adventure. May on the other hand is facing a new beginning in a much less pleasant way, working out how to move out her stuff from her marital home and into a new life without her H. Hand-holding for both of them, and particularly gentle for May please.
Saturday, February 15, 2014
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
We worked out where this was coming from, after a phone call to Official Hague Person's assistant. Nella feels that she isn't getting enough (she says financial, and I think it's also emotional) support from New Agency. She thinks she can get more elsewhere. This isn't possible in her state, they are following all the rules, and they are fed up with her. It is a bit easier for OHP to be a bit less fed up with her as they aren't dealing with her day to day, but for us, this kind of wobble is pretty scary, and NA are close to telling her to look elsewhere.
OHP is not sure if she is seriously trying to move to a different agency, if she will look further afield (there are unscrupulous agencies out there, especially in other states), or if she is just confused/having a tantrum/fed up. From OHP's point of view, they want to work with us if she still wants to place the new baby with us, and if we can find an agency that will work with all of us (NA is the one they work with most in her state, but OHP says that they may find others that will work OK). NA, however, are just fed up, end of their tether stuff.
OHP say that now she has tried to look elsewhere, they are able to alert other sensible agencies and that none of these will be that interested in taking her on if she is going to mess them around (especially without us as a match - but it's still worrying.
We are now at more or less exactly the point where we started with Nella in Baby Spouse's pregnancy - we have the same amount of time to go. Part of me thinks this could still go OK, if everyone calms down now and neither Nella nor NA throw their toys out of the pram. Part of me thinks it could get worse, she could get more emotional, and an unscrupulous person could land on her now.
To say it's a bit of a rollercoaster is an understatement. I am trying really hard to focus on being a good mum to Baby Spouse, and on being a mum of one now, not on being a mum of two in the future. I'm also trying to focus on thinking that there will be a way for us to grow our family, even if it isn't this. Mr Spouse is, not surprisingly, spitting. He's wondering why we even started out on this plan, and saying that he doesn't see why we should make an effort to take Baby Spouse to see Nella and family as often as we planned if she's going to behave like this.
Sunday, February 09, 2014
We have had some medical reports on the new pregnancy - we are missing some crucial information, and New Agency seems to be saying "what? What do you mean?" or ignoring my emails, and it just is getting a little frustrating.
But one thing we did notice from the reports, and a medical friend has confirmed, is that Nella is taking exactly as little care of herself as she was in her previous pregnancy. And we are pretty sure that this lack of care has led to some problems we have with Baby Spouse, that we know don't make him very happy either.
It's basically like watching his early life in real time, and not being able to do anything about it.
This is a post linked to the Weekly Adoption Shout Out, where theme this week is "One Year On". But I'm actually thinking of two years ago - when we were starting to learn more about Baby Spouse's prenatal history.
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
So some good news this week - first, our medicals are fine, no problems, big relief, all done and dusted.
Turns out we don't need the horrid ouchy tests, but I need to call the clinic to ask them for a letter confirming this. I also need letters from about 75 other people confirming we earn money, confirming that Baby Spouse is well and healthy, etc. etc.
Finally, I actually think my boss is quite pleased I'm probably going on adoption leave. The plan would be for me to take about 9 months again, and this overlaps with S and M (did I already say they are adopting again?)* and someone's maternity leave, meaning he has a much better case for getting money to cover us all.
I'm already running through nursery furniture, childcare options etc. at the same time as telling myself exactly what I told my boss (this is a high risk pregnancy) and what I'm not telling him (Nella is very, erm, fickle).
*I see I didn't. S and M, work colleague and husband, are the Central American adoption couple whose little boy was placed about 2? 3? years before we were matched - he's about 6 or 7 now - he asked for a "brown" sibling and they are obliging with a UK child of mixed ethnicity. Funnily although M is significantly older than Mr Spouse, there were no objections his age by their agency.
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
I'm not sure which will be more painful for me. I am wondering if I should take Baby Spouse to the work appointment to make it less painful - sadly he also has to have the nasty skin test done so I know that one's going to hurt him, poor lad.