Saturday, August 11, 2007

Weird

I have a recurring image in my head of the lab extracting tissue to do the genetics testing on Sprout. I keep wondering what it would have looked like, whether it was recognisably a foetus or whether it was all mashed up. If it had been a still-birth I assume they would do a post-mortem and I think that must be very affecting for the pathologists, even if they see lots of them, and I just keep wondering what the geneticists are thinking when they do post-miscarriage tests.

Nothing else to say. Just that.

3 comments:

L said...

I have had the exact same thought(s). I think they probably approach things very clinically because if it were me, I would be a complete mess.

DD said...

My niece (the one who is now pregnant and has one m/c at 8 wks) works in path lab and sees hundreds of fetal tissue samples monthly. I've never asked her what she actually sees, but she said during the time between her m/c and trying to get pregnant that one of the most difficult tissue samples she had to process was a post-partum placental sample delivered by a 14 year old girl.

Geohde said...

Yes, I've wondered that about my baby. And what they do with the remains when they're finished.