Sunday, December 24, 2006

Why is it...

that I come over all emotional when I hear or sing Christmas carols?

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that I'd be in floods (well, a slight leak, to be honest) when we went to St. Paul's this afternoon, and a very small girl did a completely perfect reading, much better than a couple of the adults. She can't have been more than about 8 - she had to stand on a box.

I know that some of my feelings at Christmas are related to infertility, the same with choirs - I can't help hoping that I have children who love singing as much as I do, but I know that even children genetically related to us both would not automatically be musical, since Mr. Spouse is not particularly so. I also know that any girls we had could miss out since the best choirs are still all-boys - and I know part of my emotion is the regret that I missed out myself.

But Christmas is also so much about birth - and I have to remind myself to skip ahead to other parts of the story, where we are adopted as children of God, who are equal with birth children. And also that Joseph, crucial in Christ's lineage, was his adoptive father.

Somewhere, tonight, a child is born. Maybe to us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stirrup Queen was right -- what a lovely post! The ending made me smile.

Country Chick said...

Oh dear - Christmas Carols leave me in absolute floods as well - especially if sung by children. There is so much nostalgia mixed in somehow - but I do still love them.